Sunday, April 19, 2009

Journal Question #4

I have eaten many things, in many different places, but I have tried to eat things that are similar to my daily diet. I don’t have strange eating practices. The strange thing that I had eaten was clay, red sandstone and drunk tea with some ants on it. In my country eating clay and red sandstone called (barro) is practiced by children and pregnant with lower socioeconomic status. Some experts have been criticizing these practices and others have been relating with nutritional deficient such as iron and calcium mineral. When I ate clay and red sandstone, they tasted and smelled earth (natural rock). My concerning was that they could be involved in contamination from bacteria and parasites. I couldn’t chew due to the texture, hardness, form and composition. Moreover, I drunk tea with some ants, and the tea taste and smell was the same. I really enjoyed drink tea with ants, but its appearance makes me feel bad. There is a bias that drinking tea’s ants make beautiful your eyes. Furthermore, I have seen people who eat monkey, and they really enjoy the flavor of the food. I’m not curious I just watch the dish with food. I haven’t tried to eat exotic foods, so I don’t know how it tastes. I suggest people who like unusual food make sure if they were in quality control. To sum up, it is important to know that some strange foods are made for medicinal reasons, and I don’t like to eat strange thing, so I tried just once.

1 comment:

  1. Eating clay? I've eaten dirt when I was a child before, so it doesn't sound too strange to me, but I understand the medical worries that you mentioned...I think people should really look into the medical risks behind twinkies...

    ReplyDelete